6 Smells from Your Car That Could Mean Trouble!
Caution: Be careful when reaching in to the engine area when it’s hot.
2. Oil - Oil can emanate a smell when it gets hot. If you smell hot oil you might have an oil leak that is dripping onto the manifold our exhaust system. To check for a leak, look for smoke coming from the engine area or oil drippings on your driveway.
Caution: When checking for an oil leak make sure your engine is off. Be careful when reaching in to the engine area when it’s hot.
3. Gas - If you smell gas around your car you probably have a gas leak from a gas line, gas tank or a faulty fuel injector.
Caution: Gas is flammable get immediate attention! Also, gas leaks can damage your driveway!
4. Sweet Smelling Syrup - A sweet smelling odor usually coolant leaking from your cooling system.
Caution: Never open your radiator cap or remove radiator hoses when the engine is hot!
5. Burning fabric or Carpet Smell - If you smell something that resembles burning fabric or carpet it could be trouble with your brakes.
Caution: Always get brake issues checked!
6. Rotten Eggs or Sulfur Smell - Typically, your catalytic converter is not working properly if you smell rotten eggs or sulfur.